can't connect to any subversion repository at oehive anymore

Project:The Hive project
Category:bug report

Today I noticed that I cannot reach any of the subversion repositories at oehive anymore. I have tried url's like "svn://" from TortoiseSVN from different computers, for different repo's, with and without firewalls but allways get a message like connection refused.
No idea how long this situation already exists, because I have been horribly passive for a long while. May perhaps be caused by Westhost VM conversions??


Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
john's picture


Priority:normal» critical
Assigned to:Anonymous» john

Hi Jurjen, it's more likely that I broke something. I've been trying to get git and gitweb installed and running. Most of what I've done so far should not have affected anything running on oehive. I think the most likely culprit is that I installed a newer version of libcurl. Here's what I've done so far:

- Created sub-domain
- Installed curl/libcurl. (WestHost had libcurl, but no include headers for compiling against)
- Installed git. (Installed into default directory: ~)
- Copied (build-dir)/gitweb/git* to /var/www/
- Created and edited /var/www/cgi-bin/gitweb_config.perl.

I will start investigating right away. I sure don't want SVN out of commission!

I will start by bouncing the machine. If that doesn't work I'll check the logs, and upgrade SVN (it's due anyway, and maybe building against the latest libcurl will help).

john's picture


Something restarted the WestHost virtual machine at midnight, and svnserve didn't restart at that point. I can launch svnserve manually, but it's not getting launched at boot time. It's supposed to be started by xinetd, so maybe something is wrong with xinetd. Still investigating...

john's picture


Status:active» fixed

It's working now, but I don't know why. I fiddled a bit with /etc/xinetd.conf, but I don't think any of the changes I made should have fixed anything. I changed it to write to a log file rather than use 'syslog', since syslog is not installed on WestHost. But, it was working before, so I doubt that's what got it working again.

I'll mark this issue as 'fixed' for now. If we have any more trouble with xinetd then maybe I should just drop it and create entries in /etc/init.d instead.

jurjen's picture


thumbs up! thanks